This is one of the finest wines in the "Les Jamelles" collection, made from a legendary variety that reaches its perfect expression in the Pays d'Oc. A rich and powerful wine combining scents of red fruits and hints of mentholated aromas with a fresh finish of summer undergrowth, "Les Jamelles Syrah" has won praise and awards from the press throughout the world.
About 70% of the "Les Jamelles Syrah" undergoes a long maceration (about 3 weeks) period to extract colour, tannins and fatty components from the grapes. The remaining 30% undergoes carbonic maceration (fermentation of whole grapes) to obtain plenty of fruit. A small proportion (about 10%) is aged in oak barrels for greater complexity.
- Appearance: Very dark colour. Fairly syrupy appearance. - Nose: Aromas of wild berry fruits (raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants), spices, cinnamon and a touch of mint. - Taste: Very rich and fat on the palate with a long, silky finish. This is a wine of a rare complexity.
"Les Jamelles Syrah" comes from three main locations: very old vines planted in the region of Nîmes, close to the Rhône Valley; the Béziers plain and the Aude Valley, near Carcassonne. The vines are grown on hillsides at an average altitude of 150 metres. They have an average age of 20 years and are pruned using the "gobelet" (free standing) and "cordon de Royat" (trellised) methods. Yields are relatively low, around 40 to 50 hectolitres per hectare. They grow on several different sorts of soil: - near Nîmes: deep Rhône soils, which give richness and roundness to the wine, - near Béziers: thick clay and limestone soils, - near Carcassonne: poor limestone soils (fruit).
Serve at 17 - 18°C. A perfect match for Mediterranean food, spicy dishes, sauced meats, game and charcuteries.