Already recognized as specialists in the wines of Languedoc-Roussillon, our passion for the diversity in the region's grape varieties led us to create the «Les Jamelles Cépage Rare» collection which is aimed at introducing wine lovers to a selection of heritage, forgotten, or little-known varietals that make up the viticultural heritage of southern France. These wines are the result of a long quest that allowed us to discover vineyards in which the vines thrive and flourish. We learned to determine their optimal yields and how to best vinify the grapes.
About 80% of the final blend undergoes a very long maceration period of over 3 weeks, to the end of the alcoholic fermentation. The remaining 20% is vinified by carbonic maceration (fermentation of whole grapes). A small proportion of the final blend is aged in oak barrels.
This Mourvèdre has a lovely intense red colour with purple tints. The first impression is very fruity with scents of strawberries, peaches and currants. This is followed by spicy scents of the "garrigue": marzipan, honey, lavender, thyme and bay leaves. This wine is astonishingly long and fat. It already has good, well-balanced tannins. The almost sweet finish leaves a smooth, velvety impression. Lots of character.
Of Spanish origin - and more precisely Catalan origin - in the Middle Ages, Mourvèdre migrated to the coasts of France where it found a similar climate. It is a distinctly southern variety, and is grown exclusively on the Mediterranean littoral, from Perpignan to Fréjus. It needs sunlight and heat to grow perfectly.